According to the so called "jobs-to-be-done" framework of positioning and product innovation, every "job" carried out by a person when using a product has the following 8 stages:
1. Define: Customers determine their goals and plan resources.
2. Locate : Customers gather items and information needed to do the job.
3. Prepare : Customers set up the environment to do the job.
4. Confirm : Customers verify that they’re ready to perform the job.
5. Execute : Customers carry out the job.
6. Monitor: Customers assess whether the job is being successfully executed.
7. Modify : Customers make alterations to improve execution.
8. Conclude: Customers finish the job or prepare to repeat it.